The number of American traveling for the 2014 Thanksgiving holiday is expected to reach the highest level since 2007, with 46 million turkey-gobblers taking a trip over the weekend. For families hitting the road alongside their canine buddies we’d like to present some pet travel safety tips for a care-free cross-country cruise.
Pre-planning can make your trip smoother, so here are some things you can do before you leave:
- Plan your route to include pet-friendly rest stops along the way.
- Dress your pet appropriately for the weather, it could be cold this Thanksgiving.
- If you need hotel accommodations, make sure they allow pets.
- Microchip you pet and attach an updated ID tag to its collar.
- Pack their usual food and water bowls, any medication, and favorite toys.
And while on the Road:
- Securely fasten your dog with specialized dog seat-belts, crates, or carriers.
- If your pal is anxious while traveling, distract her with a delicious food-based puzzle toy.
- Take a 15-30 minute break for every 4 hours driving time, at least.