We received over 400 sets of name suggestions for Rachel and Steve’s chicks, all of them thoughtful and creative. It was tough to narrow down the selection, but we’ve decided on five final potential sets:
1. Mack, Flo, and Hal – Mack for Mackerel, Flo for Flounder and Hal for Halibut (for their contributions to the cause).
2. Windy, Gale, and Breeze – Picked because the wind seemed to be so fierce that week they were born.
3. Eric, Bierre, and Spirit – Eric from camp (without his brilliant idea, there would be no nest, and he did such great rehab work on it this off season), Bierre for Dr. B, Spirit to honor so many nests who have lost young this season.
4. Phoebe, Robin, and Davie – Phoebe after Phoebe Snetsinger, Robin after Dr. Rob B, and Davie after David Gessner.
5. Hake, Henny, and Halia – Hake refers to timing and speed of migration in male, female and juvenile ospreys between Sweden and Africa as revealed by field observations, radar and satellite tracking, Henny for fall migration routes, timing and wintering sites of North American ospreys as determined by satellite telemetry, and Halia (Pandion Haliaetus)
Do you have a favorite set out of these five? Vote for one set in the comments section of this blog post. The set with the most votes will be our winner!