Get up and dance!
Did You Know?
- The ankle bells on Indian dancers are called “Ghungroo.”
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest ballet class involved 989 participants in an event organized by Andrew Warth in Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Cape Town, South Africa, on August 24, 2008.
- The seven movements of dance are: Bending, Gliding, Turning, Stretching, Jumping, Rising and Darting. (Read more here)
- “Between 1987 and 1997, the number of nonprofit (dance) companies grew by 93 percent… Despite a drop in funding from the National Endowment for the Arts, American dance, viewed as an artistic whole, has proven to be remarkably resilient” (NEA Report)
- The NEA generates grants for dance companies in America, though most rely on local patrons and donors - like this one from the little island of Key West soon presenting at the Lincoln Center in NYC.